Sunday, May 22, 2016

It's been a while...


So I have to once again apologize for a long absence from the blog. Honestly I had invested some time and money into WarmaHordes but I wasn't really into the game. It was more of a gaming band-aid after the collapse of WFB and my departure from 40k (and Games Workshop in general). While I having but positive things to say about Privateer Press, I have never been a fan of skirmish style games. I like huge battles, rank and file armies or units battling it out for fame, glory or other more sinister motivations. I spent most of 2015 building, collecting and painting the Khador faction but I only played a dozen or so games from March through around June. Again, I love the models and clarity of the rules, it just doesn't scratch my particular gaming itch.

With all that said towards the end of 2015 I picked up a copy of Kings of War 2nd Edition by Mantic Games (written by the great Alessio Cavatore) and gave it a read after watching a couple batreps from the guys over at Master Crafted. I read through the book a couple times and dug out some of my fantasy models from storage and trotted down to my LGS to give the ruleset a try with my buddy Ken. The rules are surprisingly simple and concise. It took a little to get used to the different combat style but I was hooked. In the same way that Fantasy Flight has done with X-Wing and Armada, the rules are fast, straight forward to play but the art of the game is back on the movement phase. That movement, and out thinking your opponent, was exactly what I loved about the original WFB. Mantic has managed to get rid of all the nonsense rules that defined (and annoyed me to no end) the fantasy editions but still managed to keep the flavor of the armies. It feels to me like a true return to tactical gaming reflective of historical miniature games.

With that said it has been a whirlwind ride ever since. At the end of October I went to visit an old gaming pal in RI and played a number of games against him (he had 5 old WFB armies just going to waste). In January 2016 I became a Mantic Pathfinder. Since then Florida has blown up for Kings of War with tournaments all over the state. In March we ran Kings demos at Crucible Orlando and had nothing but success. Special thanks to the Crucible guys for setting us up very well with terrain, table space and no end of assistance. Recently I had the honor of being a guest on Counter Charge, a Kings of War podcast (interview here if you want to listen to me drone on). The topic of discussion, or the push rather, is to have a full 2-day GT event at next year's Crucible.

So in closing, I am going to attempt to restart the blog. My intent is to cover my Kings of War gaming (you can see my battle from the Dogs of War tournament last weekend here) as well as some of my other gaming and painting. Currently, aside from Kings, I am playing SW:Armada, painting some Malifaux, and painting some 30k Emperor's Children (I got em dirt cheap, so...).

I hope you guys hang with me as I try to find erstwhile content to post. Happy gaming!!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to the blogs. I too have moved on from GW, mostly to Warlord Bolt Action and Judge Dredd. But I look forward to reading your posts as KoW does interest me.

    ReplyDelete